2015 Lawrence County Fair Queen ~ Shelby Dean
2015 Lawrence County Fair Queen Alternate ~ Sarah Smith
Hello and welcome to the 2016 Lawrence County Fair! My name is Shelby Dean and I had the honor to serve you as the 2015 Lawrence County Fair Queen.
The Lawrence County Fair is always one of the best times of summer vacation. It was a busy and fun-filled week for not only myself but for everyone who attended. After being crowned Sunday night, I participated in the ribbon cutting Monday morning – an event I had never seen before. Once we kicked off the fair week activities, you could see Sarah Smith, the 2015 Lawrence County Fair Princess, and me all over the fairgrounds participating in a variety of activities. We attended grandstand events like the tractor pulls, passed out awards at the Pedal Pull, sat in the Laurel High School Basketball Team dunk tank, and my personal favorite – attended all the different livestock shows on Livestock Alley. Being able to participate in all the livestock shows held a very special place in my heart as I grew up in our Lawrence County 4-H program. The fair was a fun and busy week, and I am honored to have been a part of it. The fair was not the only event I participated in as fair queen. In January, I traveled to Hershey for the 2016 State Fair Queen Contest. I competed in interviews and speeches with 65 other girls who represented their fairs from all across the state. This was an amazing weekend! I met some wonderful girls that I will be able to call my friends for a long time. It was an honor to represent Lawrence County and even be selected as a top ten finalist. I could not have had this memorable opportunity without loving and caring people by my side. I want to thank my family for all their support, especially during the fair & taking care of my animals. Shawn & Rhiannon Hill were the fair queen coordinators. Without their encouragement and helping hand, I could not have done it all. Thank you to the Benninghoffs, the McCallisters, and Wade Sturgeon for your support in Hershey at the state competition. Thank you to all of the Fair Directors for everything you do for our fair and for giving me the opportunity to participate as the Fair Queen. A final thank you to my 2015 Princess, Sarah Smith. Sarah – without you, I would not have been able to participate in all the events at the fair. Thank you for taking my place when I could not be there and for all the memories we made and fun we had. Thank you, Lawrence County, for the privilege to serve you as your 2015 Lawrence County Fair Queen!
The Fair Queen Contest will take place on Sunday August 14th in the Community Building. The purpose of the Fair Queen Competition Program is to promote and educate young women in PA through the operation of a scholarship program providing educational opportunities and to promote greater public understanding and awareness of agriculture & its importance to PA.
Each Fair Queen shall follow the rules adopted by the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs. Contestant DOES NOT have to be a 4-H or FFA member to compete.
Rules and Regulations:
Each contestant must:
- Be a female who is a U.S. Citizen, a resident of Pennsylvania and living in Lawrence County.
- Be at least 16 years of age and not over 20 years old by June 1 of the current year.
- Have never served as local or state fair queen.
- Have her parents’ or guardians’ consent.
- Be single, never married, have had no children & remain so during her reign.
- Not hold any other State or Local title for any other commodity group or pageant during her reign.
- Be available/in attendance the entire week of the Lawrence County Fair.
- Be available to attend the State competition in Hershey, PA in January.
- Agree to promote the Lawrence County Fair in a positive manner throughout her reign.
- Be available for fair-sanctioned activities throughout her reign including publicity via TV, Newspaper, radio & public appearances.
- Agree to abide by the Fair Queen Dress Code & Behavior Policy.
- Provide two (2) wallet-sized colored photos (can be the same) to be used for publicity purposes. High School or college photos can be used. Photos become the property of the Lawrence County Fair. Include Photographers release if photos were taken professionally and copyrighted.
- Write an essay on “WHAT THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR MEANS TO MY COMMUNITY.” Essay must be 300 words or less, typewritten and must accompany the application.
- Give a 3-5 minute speech to the judges on “WHY YOU SHOULD COME TO THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR.”
- Applications are available at the Fair office or your school guidance office.
- Application must be completed by July 15, 2016, and be returned to the following address: Lawrence County Fair “Queen Contest” 464 Midway Rd ~ New Castle, PA 16101
- Complete details can be found in the Fair Queen application packet. Further information may be obtained by calling the fair office at 724-654-7745.
Contestants will be judged on the following basis:
Personal Interview 30
Speech Presentation 30
Impromptu Question 15
TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS 100