My name is Gabriella Kosek. I have had the honor and privilege to represent you as the 2016 Lawrence County Fair Queen. As the summer is winding down and all your hard work is ready for show, the excitement is just about to begin at the Lawrence County Fair! It is such a busy week, but you will always have the memories to keep. Let us look back and capture some of the best memories from last year! After being crowned the Lawrence County Fair Queen on Sunday, it was a whirlwind of activities and experiences that I will never forget. It started with the ribbon cutting ceremony and breakfast on Monday. Throughout the week, I was able to introduce the Dawn Savage Band, attend the Beard and Mustache Contest, welcome family and friends throughout the fairgrounds, assist in making apple butter, attend CPR training, and award banners and ribbons to various activities on Livestock Alley. In a blink of an eye, the fireworks were bursting in the air, and the 2016 Lawrence County Fair season concluded. As fair queen, I was able to represent Lawrence County throughout the year. I participated in AG Encounter Days where local elementary students have the opportunity to learn about the importance of agriculture. Additionally, I attended the Wampum Day Parade, the 4-H auction, the Toy Tractor Show at Laurel Jr./Sr. High School, and other various activities. I had the pleasure of representing Lawrence County at the 2017 Pennsylvania State Fair Queen Pageant. The experiences, people, and memories will last a lifetime. All these wonderful experiences and memories made would not be possible without the help of so many. I would like to thank Shawn and Rhiannon Hill for taking on the role as fair queen coordinators. A special thank you to the Benninghoffs, the McCallisters, the Stewarts, the Schooleys, and Melinda Marks for their constant support and help throughout the year. And, to all the directors of the Lawrence County Fair Board, without you, this opportunity would not have been possible. Additionally, I would like to extend my gratitude to my family for all their support and help. Especially to my Mom and Papa for helping me all throughout the week. Last but not least, I would like to send a thank you out to the 2016 Lawrence County Dairy Princess, Kara Yannesse, and to the 2016 Lawrence County Fair Queen Alternate, Grace Houk, for taking on adventures and helping me throughout the year! Thank you to the community for allowing me to represent you as 2016 Lawrence County Fair Queen, and with great enthusiasm, I cannot wait for you to see what 2017 has growing!
The Fair Queen Contest will take place on Sunday August 13th in the Community Building. The purpose of the Fair Queen Competition Program is to promote and educate young women in PA through the operation of a scholarship program providing educational opportunities and to promote greater public understanding and awareness of agriculture & its importance to PA.
Each Fair Queen shall follow the rules adopted by the Pennsylvania State Association of County Fairs. Contestant DOES NOT have to be a 4-H or FFA member to compete.
Rules and Regulations:
Each contestant must:
- Be a female who is a U.S. Citizen, a resident of Pennsylvania and living in Lawrence County.
- Be at least 16 years of age and not over 20 years old by June 1 of the current year.
- Have never served as local or state fair queen.
- Have her parents’ or guardians’ consent.
- Be single, never married, have had no children & remain so during her reign.
- Not hold any other State or Local title for any other commodity group or pageant during her reign.
- Be available/in attendance the entire week of the Lawrence County Fair.
- Be available to attend the State competition in Hershey, PA in January.
- Agree to promote the Lawrence County Fair in a positive manner throughout her reign.
- Be available for fair-sanctioned activities throughout her reign including publicity via TV, Newspaper, radio & public appearances.
- Agree to abide by the Fair Queen Dress Code & Behavior Policy.
- Provide two (2) wallet-sized colored photos (can be the same) to be used for publicity purposes. High School or college photos can be used. Photos become the property of the Lawrence County Fair. Include Photographers release if photos were taken professionally and copyrighted.
- Write an essay on “WHAT THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR MEANS TO MY COMMUNITY.” Essay must be 300 words or less, typewritten and must accompany the application.
- Give a 3-5 minute speech to the judges on “WHY YOU SHOULD COME TO THE LAWRENCE COUNTY FAIR.”
- Applications are available at the Fair office or your school guidance office.
- Application must be completed by July 15, 2017, and be returned to the following address: Lawrence County Fair “Queen Contest” 464 Midway Rd ~ New Castle, PA 16101
- Complete details can be found in the Fair Queen application packet. Further information may be obtained by calling the fair office at 724-654-7745.
Contestants will be judged on the following basis:
Personal Interview 30
Speech Presentation 30
Impromptu Question 15
TOTAL POSSIBLE POINTS 100